The only problem with a HEIC file format is that it is not compatible and does not support most devices. Moreover, most times you might not be able to view or even open a HEIC photo whenever you move it to your computer. Read through this blog, and you will be enlightened on how to open HEIC files, with just some easy steps.
How to Open HEIC Files on Windows
Did someone send you an image or any file in the HEIC format? When somebody is using an iOS device to take a photo, the files are usually saved as a HEIC file, and it is easy to open on an Apple device. If you are using a Windows computer, you can be able to open a HEIC file through the steps in this article. However, it is very easy and fasts to download and install a plugin from the Microsoft Store to let your PC open any HEIC file.
What is a HEIC File
A HEIC File (High-Efficiency Image Container) is a convenient way that can be used for saving files. Converting the photos smaller in size while still maintaining the image quality. It is better than the JPG format in most ways. The Concern is that not all devices support the HEIC formats. Most developers adopt HEIC daily but they are still not common as the JPG File format.
The HEIC files are been used by the Apple Company through MPEG developed it. It is the name that its users refer to in its HEIF (High-Efficiency Image File) format. It is based on a High-Efficiency Video Compression video format. This file format is popular because it allows users to access high-quality images without even taking up much storage space.
How to Open HEIC Files on Windows
The HEIC Files on Windows is a common concern of most users. You can easily and safely open the HEIC files on your Windows, just by installing the support for the HEIC files format in just a few clicks. This method is applicable to Windows 11, 10, and most Windows versions. For you to be able to Open HEIC files on your Windows, then you have to follow these steps below:
- Navigate to File Explorer on Windows.
- Sort out the HEIC file and Double Click on it.
- Select Photos if you are asked to choose the application that you would want to Open the HEIC file.
- Then the Photos app will inform you that the HEIC image extension is needed for displaying this file.
- Now you have to select the Download and Install option to download it from the Microsoft Store.
- The download is free and it takes just a few seconds. Select Yes, when Windows will then Confirm Did you Mean to Switch Apps?
- Doing so will allow you to Open the HEIC image extension page. Now you will select the Install option to download the support for the HEIC files.
- After you might have opened the HEIC file in the photo application. You can now be able to view it like all other files such as JPEG, GIF, PNG, and BMP.
Open HEIC Files by Resetting Image Extension
This is another method that can be attempted is for users to reset the image extension. This is a choice to use if the installed extension does not work. You can be able to reset the image extensions to open the HEIC files on Windows through the steps below:
- Navigate to your PC Settings.
- Click on the Apps
- Scroll till you find HEIF Image Extensions, click on it and select Advanced Options.
- Scroll to Reset options and click on it.
- You will need to confirm your request just by clicking on the Reset
NOTE: This action will then reset your extension. After this might have been completed, you can try to open the HEIC file again, using any compatible player.
What Program Opens a HEIC File?
Adobe Lightroom is the easiest and best way to open a HEIC file and then edit it. You can be able to use any image viewer to open the file format. And if you might have been facing issues while opening these files, then you can convert them into other file formats or even save your images on the Apple device in the JPG format as well, instead of the HEIC file.
How do I Convert HEIC to JPG?
Save your images as a JPG file, and then convert it to a PDF with the steps outlined here below:
- To start you first have to navigate to the Adobe Acrobat online PDF converter on your preferred web browser. www.adobe.com
- Now you have to click on the blue button that says Select a File or you can even drag your image into the converter.
- Download your new PDF file after it might have been converted. Just by clicking the Download
Can VLC Play HEIC Files?
An alternative that can be explored is the use of the VLC media player application to convert your HEIC files or even play them. A Convert/Save option that is on the player could let you convert from HEIC format into other file formats.
Should I Convert HEIC to JPG?
Whenever it comes to both compression and image quality, the HEIC files could win out over the JPEG file formats. HEIC format can actually enhance the quality of videos and photos with transparency and a broader dynamic range of capabilities.