If you do not have enough space on your Mac or PC for files or what that you would wish to get on it, or clutter on the hard drive is causing performance issues and not making it work as expected, then you are not alone. To make a PC or Mac running properly then you have to clean up some disk space, all you have to do to be enlightened on How to Clear Up Disk Space is to read through this blog and follow the steps carefully.
How to Clear Up Disk Space
Days back when Macs had Hard drives, most people had tons of space on Macs, but the SSDs that feature in Macs now are limited in capacities, and some high-resolution videos, music, photos, and some other essential files take more storage than ever.
Running out of space can be really hampered to computing, and if you want Mac to run as expected you need to make sure that you have got something like 20 percent of storage free at all times otherwise Mac will run slow.
The worst is that if you do not delete some things that are taking up storage space on your computer you may even find that you can not start it up one day because the disk is full and you may already see warming that your start-up disk is almost full, you should not ignore them.
How to Clean Up Disk Space On a Windows
If you run out of space, you might then install important windows updates and your PC may be affected. If your PC or computer does not have Storage Sense, then you can use the Disk Cleanup tools to delete some temporary files and system files from your device. Here are some ways that can be followed to free up space so you can keep your PC running smoothly.
- Access the Taskbar
- Type in DIsk CleanUp in the search box, and select it from the results.
- Then select the file categories that you would want to clean up.
- Click on the “OK” option.
- By default, the “Downloaded Program Files”, “Temporary Internet Files”, and then the “Thumbnails” are selected automatically.
- To free up more space on your PC, click on the “Clean Up System Files”.
- Select a drive that you would want to clean and then select the “OK” option.
- When the system might have done its calculation, select the type of files that you would want to delete. The Disk Cleanup will take only a little time to calculate the amount of space that can be freed up.
- After you might have selected the files that you want to be deleted, you now have to select “OK” and select “Delete Files” in the confirmations pop window to start the cleanup.
With these steps, you can easily free up your disk space on windows.
How to Clean Up Disk Space On Mac
There are much more ideas below you free up disk space, but if you are not in hurry but just need some space, or if you are not too bothered about making sure that you do not run out of space, here are a few steps to take to free up space on Mac.
- Click on Download Folder in the Dock
- Open it in the Finder and then select the content or any files that you do not need, right-click, and then choose “Move to Bin”.
- Navigate to Funder and Open “Home Folder”.
- Now press Command-F to open a new Finder Window.
- Click on the drop-down that is beside “Kind” and choose “Other”.
- Scroll down till you see “File Size” and then check the box which is next to it and click “OK”.
- Now you have to select anything that you do not need that is bigger than 100MB, then choose Move to BIn.
- You can be able to set up a similar search to delete such files that you are not using and right-click on the files you must be sure you won’t need again and choose Move to Bin.
- Now the final and most important step to take is to right-click on Trash and choose Empty Trash/Bin.
These steps might recover much space for Mac, and if that is all you need then the job is done.
How Can I Free Up Space on my Disk?
Here is how you can clear disk space and then increase storage on a desktop or laptop if you have never had did this before.
- Uninstall unnecessary applications and programs
- Clean Desktop
- Get rid of monster files
- Use Disk cleanup tools
- Discard temporary files
- Deal with downloads
- Save to Cloud
Why is Disk Space so Full?
The possible causes could be Too many applications or files saved on the disk. There is not enough disk space. File system corruption on the hard drive.
How do I Clear Disk Space without Deleting Everything?
Clear cache for all frequently used apps
- Long tap on an application for it to open the info menu
- Open the “Storage”.
- Select the Clear Cache
- Repeat the same step for all other applications
Does Disk Cleaning Delete Everything?
The Disk Cleanup can help free up space on the hard disk, creating improved system performance. The Disk Cleanup searches for disk and then shows temporary files, Internet Cache files, and even unnecessary program files that you safely delete. You can direct the Disk Cleanup to delete those files.
Is it Safe to CleanUp Disk?
For the most part, the items and files that are in the disk Cleanup are safe to delete. But if the computer is not running properly, deleting some of them might prevent you from uninstalling updates, rolling back the operating system, and even many more. So they are handy to keep around if you have the space.
CHECK THESE OUT
- How to Protect your Mac from Viruses and Hackers
- How to Set Up Wi-Fi Router
- HBO Max – The Cheapest Way to Get HBO Max?